Wednesday, June 25, 2014

In Memory of a Very Special Life

Today I’m working on a sign, but it’s not just any sign.  This sign has brought tears to my eyes from the moment I received the request, and even now as I design this small token to honor this precious little life that ended the same day it began.  


It brings back memories of the day that my second child was born.  Our hospital room was filled with the sounds of newborn cries, overjoyed parents, laughter, smiles, and the awe of new life.  Yet at that same moment of our rejoicing in this new life, in the same hospital and on the very same floor there was mourning taking place as another mother had labored all night, only to have the life of her precious newborn end moments later.  My heart broke for that mother; I couldn't imagine giving birth to such deep grief, pain, and sorrow after carrying and being connected to that little life for nine months of time.  All I could think, was “how is this fair?”, and then offer my silent prayers as the nurses shared with me the news of this unnamed mother.  There are no words for times like that, and even less when you are leaving the hospital with your new baby, knowing that this mother would give anything to experience that same joy.

So the thought of being invited into the life journey of another to honor the life of a child who only lives on in their memory makes me feel incredibly humbled and inadequate for the task.  Again, just as I silently prayed for that woman in the hospital two and a half years ago, I can only pray that God will use this sign to bring honor to their child, and to fill their hears with His peace and healing as they remember this life.

I can’t answer the question to why these kind of things happen in life, because to be honest, there really is no pretty packaged answer, wrapped in bows and ribbons, but I can tell you that there is One, Jesus Christ, Who counts every tear shed, Who sees every angry, confused fist shook towards the heavens, and hears every staggered breath taken and He offers His arms of comfort, healing and peace, and yes, even the ability to love again.

This song describes well the pain of loosing a child, but also the comfort found in knowing, as the song says, that “you're in the arms of God. Just a moment there is better than here”.

Whatever pain you’re facing today, I pray that you will find comfort in Jesus, and when the time is ready, healing in the love of God.


My deepest sympathies to the family of this precious young life.  I respectfully pray that this sign brings you peace and comfort in knowing that your son is in the arms of God.

♥ Crystal

2 comments:

  1. When joy and grief collide. It was also April 12th when our daughter decided to appear 7 weeks ahead of when we were expecting her. A week after her birth we were transported to my local hospital so we could be close to home. That same day I met my sister, who had been taking care of our son, in the emergency room. She has having a miscarriage and nothing could stop this little life from slipping away. I was there to hold onto her, and call for help. I was there curled up on her bed as she cried uncontrollably. I was also running back to my own infant to nurse her and cuddle her. She was perfect and beautiful and a joy in the midst of such grief. My emotions were so torn up, I felt guilty for being joyful, yet she was my reality. Life is not fair, not explainable, but happening simultaneously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your, and your sisters story Colleen. What a difficult situation that must have been. Such a blessing though for you to be there for her throughout her storm. April 12th, wow; a day to honor more than one beautiful life. Blessings to you and your sister.

      Delete

Care to share? I'd love to hear your thoughts, queries, and qualms. Please feel free to leave me a little message and let me know you were here. (Don't forget to choose an identity under "Comment As". Oh, and don't be alarmed when you don't see your comment immediately...I like to get a sneak peak before I publish them for the world to see) ;) Toodles!